Angelika Rainer, when the route to the peak shines like gold…
Who is Angelika Rainer
Angelika Rainer is an Italian climber who loves all the different climbing disciplines between rock and ice.
For three consecutive times, 2009, 2011, and 2013, Angelika has been able to win the gold medal in Ice Climbing World Championships and twice the World cup general rankings in Ice climbing.
Moreover, on angelika-rainer.com you can find also her past projects and interviews!
“My upside down world” is a biopic documentary about the Italian climber’s personal and professional life. You can easily get inspired only by watching the trailer…
Top 3 gear by Angelika Rainer
Angelika, what are your top 3 gear and why do you recommend them?
– Grivel / Dark machine X / Ice axe
– La Sportiva / G5 / Mountaineering boots
– Karpos / Jorasses Plus / Jacket and pants
Grivel / Dark Machine X
I really like the Dark Machine X ice axe because of their lightness and versatility. Lightness, for me as a woman who has a bodyweight of 50 kg has always been a key factor for ice axes.
Even though they are light, they swing very well on ice, and additionally, they are precise on the rock while mixed climbing or drytooling.
La Sportiva / G5
About my G5 mountaineering boots by La Sportiva, I love their lightness, which does not limit their warmth – which is even more important in boots for me.
These are my first booths with boa system regulation and I find it perfect as it can be handled when wearing gloves and is very fast.
Karpos / Jorasses Plus
With Jorasses Plus pants by Karpos, the velcro adjustment on the back of the leg allows for a perfect regulation on mountaineering or ski mountaineering boots so that the pant does not remain too wide which can be troublesome when used with crampons.
The feature I like most in the Jorasses Plus jacket is the very efficient velcro wrist closure that can be tightened over the gloves and makes it almost impossible for snow or rain to enter.
Grivel / Dark machine X / Ice axe
Ultimate technical ice axe which combines the most advanced technologies and materials into a modern tool, destined for great performances.
Designed for extreme ice climbing and dry tooling, this aggressive technical ice axe has a G-bone carbon composite shaft and full carbon handle that ensure lightness and, at the same time, extreme toughness and durability.
Very light at only 495 grams, their geometry offers a higher balance point, that allows a much better swing.
- Activities: extreme ice climbing, dry tooling
- Materials/construction/technologies: steel blades and accessories, carbon composite shaft, full carbon handle, steel tip
- Weight: 495 g (17,4 oz)
- Size: 52 cm
La Sportiva / G5 mountaineering boots
The G5 is a highly technical big mountain boot designed for visionary lines.
This synthetic, weatherproof boot ensures maximum fit and performance through its Boa® lacing system, while the ankle flex zone supports ease of movement in rough terrain. The external Cordura® gaiters and internal water resistant membrane ensure your feet stay dry in full conditions.
- The Flex Zone at the back of the ankle provides enhanced flexibility to facilitate walking through rough terrain.
- External Cordura® gaiter with heat-sealed zipper and internal water-resistant membrane combine to create water repellency.
- Quick lacing system designed to be used while wearing gloves thanks to the Boa® lacing system in the lower part of the shell and the velcro strap at the top to differentiate tension.
- Revolutionary lightweight and low volume carbon Honeycomb Tech insole.
– Weight: 30.00 oz (857g)
– Last: Nepal
Website: G5 mountaineering boots
Karpos / Jorasses Plus jacket and pants
Jorasses Plus is a perfect jacket for cold and difficult conditions, offering maximum freedom of movement and breathability to allow you to handle a wide variety of winter situations.
Thanks to the hybrid construction, the jacket offers outstanding protection from snow, water, and wind, ensuring excellent breathability even during very strenuous activity. Ideal for ice climbing, ski mountaineering, and winter mountaineering.
Made with Gore-Tex® Infinium zonal weather protection on the shoulders, hood, upper side of sleeves and back to keep out snow and rain.
The front and underside of sleeves are made with Gore® Infinium with Windstopper® technology with a durable ripstop structure, which ensures greater breathability and stretch, thus improving moisture evaporation and freedom of movement. Both fabrics have a DWR treatment that repels water and snow from the surface. The zippers are all seam-sealed and waterproof. All seams are taped.
- Fully seam-sealed jacket.
- Hood compatible with helmet, with front and back adjustment.
- Underarm zips for ventilation.
- Two front pockets with waterproof zippers, designed for use with harness.
- The waterproof flap behind zip.
Perfect pant for cold and difficult conditions, offering maximum freedom of movement and breathability to allow you to handle a wide variety of winter situations.
Thanks to the hybrid construction, the pant offers outstanding protection from snow, water, and wind, ensuring excellent breathability even during very strenuous activity.
Ideal for ice climbing, ski mountaineering, and winter mountaineering.
Made with Gore-Tex® Infinium zonal weather protection on the knee, the bottom of the leg, and upper back to keep out snow and rain. The upper front and back of the knee are made with Goretex® Infinium with Windstopper® technology with a durable ripstop structure. This solution ensures greater breathability and stretch, thus improving moisture evaporation and freedom of movement.
Both fabrics have a DWR treatment that repels water and snow from the surface. The zippers are all seam-sealed and waterproof. All seams are taped.
- Fully seam-sealed pant.
- Waistband with button and hook fly and Velcro adjustment.
- Belt loops.
- Two front zippered pockets designed for use with harness.
- Ventilation zippers on sides.
- Back pocket with zip.
- Internal gaiter at bottom of leg with hook to hold against boot.